When the new year rolls around, it’s always an inspiring time to make changes. One of the best places to do that is inside your own home. It’s your main environment, so sprucing things up there will have a great effect on you every day of the year.
You can freshen things up with quick changes that are easy to implement but will make you feel like you’ve made some big transformations for the new year. These things include getting spaces organized, touching up small details and switching up your decor. And you don’t even need a large budget to do so.
The following 10 ideas will help set the new year off to the right start.
1. Clean out your closets. Closets are always the first spots to get cluttered in the home. They collect a lot of loose items that need to be put out of sight. That’s why it’s a great idea at least a couple times a year to take stock of what’s in your closets and clean out anything you don’t need anymore (such as old clothes) to make room for your new purchases for the new year.
Image: Elle Decor
2. Clean and touch up your baseboards. Baseboards are often overlooked but have a huge impact on how polished your house looks and feels. It’s a good idea to clean them regularly and once or twice a year, touch up the paint on them to get rid of any scuffs.
Image: Better Homes & Gardens
3. Re-organize your pantry. The kitchen pantry is another area that collects a lot of stuff throughout the year, a lot of which will end up expiring. Go through your pantry and clean out any expired food and then re-organize it to make things more efficient.
4. Spruce up your garden. Clean out any dead plants and weeds and treat your grass if it is looking brown. These simple things can turn your garden around and improve your overall curb appeal.
Image: Better Homes & Gardens
5. Bring in some fresh scents. The sense of smell has a huge impact on how we feel in a space. If you want to try something new in your home, one of the simplest and most affordable ways to do so is by trying out a new scent in the form of a candle, plug-in fragrances, etc.
Image: Good Housekeeping
6. Switch out your bedding. Instantly freshen up your bedroom by switching out your bedding to something new. Even just changing the sheets to a different color can make it feel brand new.
Image: Apartment Therapy
7. Change up your accent pillows. Accent pillows are one of the best ways to change your living room. They are also the perfect element to switch up for the seasons.
Image: Style At Home
8. Bring in a new area rug. Area rugs are accents for the floor. They can provide depth to a space and brighten it up with a color or give it interest with a cool texture. If you don’t already have an area rug in a space, consider adding one.
Image: House Beautiful
9. Update your window treatments. Curtains can change the whole vibe of a space depending on the color, pattern or texture that you choose. Why not try something new for the new year?
Image: My Domaine
10. Give your walls a fresh coat of paint or introduce a new accent wall. Nothing transforms a space quite as effectively as a can of paint. If you don’t want to repaint the entire room, then just do one accent wall. The effect will still be inspiring.
Happy New Year, everyone!